Run in Terminal problem

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Sat Jan 24 05:48:53 CET 2004

Brett I. Holcomb wrote:

> Nope, full name does the same as the plain command - a window flashes
> open, then goes away.  Either I am misunderstanding this or run in
> terminal is broken.  This is xfce 4.0.1
>
> Strange.

I'll take a shot at this one.

I think the problem is that when you use the "open in terminal" option
it just runs a shell in a terminal based on your setting for TERMCMD. If
TERMCMD isn't set, it defaults to xterm. The problem is that with this
situation the terminal never sees the command.

For most terminals adding the argument -e tells it to accept the
arguments as well as the command. but you probably still have the "run
in terminal" checked. Either uncheck that, and use the command that
starts its own terminal as Ken suggested, or modify your TERMCMD
environment variable to include the -e option, and use your original
command.

   export TERMCMD="xterm -e"

I added this to my .xinitrc.xfce4-session file and restarted xfce4.

Bob S.