no AA fonts in XFce4

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 21 01:03:55 CET 2004

hi olivier,

thanks for the quick reply. unfortunately, setting GDK_USE_XFT to 1 does
not solve the problem. it does get rid of messages like this one, though:

** (xfdesktop:31284): CRITICAL **: file utf8.c: line 34
   (utf8_string_remove_controls): assertion `str != NULL' failed

i get similar messages from xfce-mcs-manager and xftaskbar4 if GDK_USE_XFT
is unset.

i tried recompiling pango (v1.2.5), but still no go. configure does report
that FreeType, X and Xft will be the available backends, but i'm not sure
if that means anything...

well, if you have any other ideas, i'd be very gratefule, but since this
isn't an XFce problem, i'll go and try google again... (i guess this is
what you get for running a manually patched unofficial PPC port of
slackware... ;-)

joost

--
Joost Kremers