Accentuated characters in xffm (samba module)

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Tue Jan 20 17:26:58 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 08:13, Sergey Manucharyan wrote:
> AA> Damn, I'm so stupid sometimes :-) Now you've pointed it, it does seem
> AA> pretty obvious...
> Believe me, I also didn't get it from the first :)
>
> AA> Back to the original thread, I entered ISO-8859-15 in the field, but I
> AA> still get hieroglyphs instead of accentuated chars :-(
> AA> I tried several spellings (iso-8859-15, ISO-8859-15, iso8859-15,
> AA> ISO8859-15) but none of them work... [the one I use in my Gnome apps is
> AA> ISO-8859-15]
> The SMB_CODESET has helped me to see cyrillic characters on the local
> drives, but I've never tried it for shares...

It more or less works (YMMV) for shares with spanish accentuated
characters as long as samba<3.0, although some functionality in samba
does not work. This issue was addressed in samba 3.0 and procedures were
changed to utf. Xffm 4.2 will adopt the new way, although the
SMB_CODESET will still be available for local files.