No Text on Menus or Tool Tips

Bill Trenker wtrenker at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 19 16:00:21 CET 2004

Bill Trenker wrote:

> I've just downloaded and built xfce4.  It's running fine but there is no text showing on any menus or tool-tips.

(By the way, I hope I'm not a pest with these messages.  I would really like to solve this "no text" problem on my system.)

While reading the docs about the Settings Manager, I wondered if the "without session manager" messages I get when I start xfce4 are somehow connected to the missing text.

Following the instructions in the installation docs, here is the contents of my ~/.xinitrc file:
xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xftaskbar4 &
xfdesktop &
exec xfce4-panel

I then start up X from the Linux console like this:
startx

On the Linux console I get these messages:
**Message: xfwm4: Workspace count not set, using rc value: 4
**Message: xfdesktop: running without session manager
**Message: Cannot connect to session manager
**Message: xfce4-panel: Running without session manager
**Message: xfce4-panel: module eyes successfully loaded
**Message: xfce4-panel: module systembuttons successfully loaded
**Message: xfce4-panel: module tl successfully loaded
**Message: xfce4-panel: module switcher successfully loaded
**Message: xfce4-panel: module mixer successfully loaded
**Message: xfce4-panel: module clock successfully loaded
**Message: xfce4-panel: module separator successfully loaded
**Message: xfce4-panel: module systray successfully loaded
**Message: xfce4-panel: module mailcheck successfully loaded
**Message: xfce4-panel: module pager successfully loaded
(If the above Message lines have typos it's because I typed them in by hand from my console, but the order is right.)

I don't know if the "without session manager" messages are significant, but I thought I should ask.

Thanks,
Bill