Xfce as only desktop

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Sat Jan 10 17:37:30 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 03:39, Chris Brault wrote:
> I was wondering,
> How many of you use Xfce4 as their only desktop? Or
> perhaps, what kind of work do you do on the Xfce desktop?

I only use XFce4 on my boxes.  I have Gnome installed, but that is only
because FC1 doesn't have XFce4 builtin.  So, I install Gnome so I have
graphical interface to grab XFce4.  I also need gnome-control-center (at
least) since I use Galeon as a browser and gnome-terminal as my termapp.

Other than that, it has been only XFce4 for quite a while now.  That's
why I'm glad XFce4 will be in FC2 (at least, it's in Rawhide).  When I
had my Gentoo box, it was really nice.  I just let Portage determine
what Gnome/KDE bits I had to have, and I left the rest.

As for my desktop, no taskbar, only iconbox.  I strip out xscreensaver
because it's a hog and run xlockmore.  One workspace at home, three at
work.  One of the work ones I use for work (fun windows with GAMESS,
Molpro, MD software), one is internet, and one is my root window with a
nice eterm-logger running.

--
I am a theoretical chemist.  Fear me!
 Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/