Pan troubles

Paul Trevethan elist at pacific.net.au
Sun Jan 4 23:59:10 CET 2004

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:46:18 -0800
Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> wrote:

> Paul Trevethan wrote:
>
> >I am currently using XFce4 v4.0.1 and thought I might just report here
> >on a major problem I was having with Pan newsreader.
> >
> >The SUSE v9.0 distro comes with Pan v0.14.0.73 which uses gnet
> >v1.1.9.53. This has been working just fine with (first KDE and then)
> >XFce4. However, I updated the version of Pan to v0.14.2 (that uses gnet
> >2.?) from the SUSE"people" ftp site and it caused serious trouble!
> >
> >It opened ok and in fact you could use it - however, as soon as you
> >exited the program it warm booted the machine; and it mattered not how
> >you exited(IE from menu, corner icon or keystroke).
> >

> For what it's worth, I am using pan 0.14.2 (which apparently uses gnet
> 2.0.4 since that's what I have) with xfce 4.0.0 and have experienced no
> problems. I compiled it from source, along with gnet and xfce. I am
> running a much upgraded Slackware 8 system.
>
> Bob S.

That's interesting Bob - I was hoping to see any other similar
experiences to pass on to Daniel (the guy who put together the Suse rpm's)
when he gets back.

He has not used Xfce and we were not sure if the problem only came about
in that environment. Our suspicion is that gnet v2.0.4 does not like
something on my system alone, or, something got introduced in the Suse
rpm creation?

I don't intend doing more experimentation though as this was not a
segfault fall over etc; the constant rebooting was starting to destabilise
the system and it's not worth a complete re-install. I will reconfigure
pan 0.14.0 and leave it be.

Paul.