Happy new year / XFce in 2004

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Thu Jan 1 14:59:29 CET 2004

Op do 01-01-2004, om 14:39 schreef Shahar Weiss:
> Actually, I was thinking about joining the XFce development team, but I
> do not know if I possess the required amount of knowledge. I've finished
> a couple of programming courses at the university, C and C++. Apart from
> that, I'm pretty clueless. Is there any way for me to join the team?
> What do I need to know more in order to have the required amount of
> knowledge, and how can I achieve it?

Well, that's not how it works. It cannot work like that. We're not an
organisation that hires people.

It works by people starting to contribute stuff that they feel is
missing, or proposing ideas and offering to implement them. Then when
they get more involved they get more familiar with the code and start
contributing more.

Sometimes we post stuff here about things that would be nice to
implement, but we can't tell anyone what to do.

If you contribute, you are part of the team, it is that simple. Usually
the easiest way to start is by fixing bugs in the existing programs or
writing small additional features.

Most importantly is time. Many people want to contribute, but not many
people do and even less people keep working on xfce for a prolonged
time.

It is very important to keep communicating. Let us know what you are
working on (on xfce4-dev at xfce.org), so other people won't do the same or
can help you. And don't be afraid to ask if something is unclear.

We will appreciate any contribution you can make.

Hope this helps a bit,

	Jasper