GTK, MDK, and XFCE

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 29 20:07:25 CET 2004

sorry for the top-posting; i'm being lazy.

_please_ do not use XMMS as an example.  it is a gtk 1.2 app, and thus
has _nothing_ to do with the theming set by xfce (gtk 2 apps).  XMMS is,
imho, the one holdover program that everyone seems to use that is still
a gtk 1.2 app (no, i'm not suggesting there aren't others, just that
XMMS is the most prevalent by far).  on a related note, if you want XMMS
to "fit in," you might try beep (htpp://beepmp.sf.net/), which is a gtk
2 fork/port of XMMS.  it has its quirks, but i've found it to work quite
well for my purposes.

random rant: honestly, though, when is someone going to design and write
from scratch a gtk2-based media player that is as featureful as XMMS but
is actually designed correctly?  this is not a criticism of the early
XMMS/x11amp devs, since they had to work with old high-latency,
non-preemptible linux kernels, but their design is horribly outdated and
inefficient for a 2.6 or recent 2.4 kernel.

    -brian