GTK, MDK, and XFCE

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 29 03:14:19 CET 2004

Andrew wrote:

>OK, killed gconfd-2.  (How do I make sure that doesn't start every time
>I start up/log on?)

well, assuming you're starting xfce via the 'startxfce' script or using
some desktop manager that can launch xfce directly, it shouldn't be
starting at all.  ok, i take that back.  it's running on my machine!
hmm, i guess some app needed it and ran it.  well i guess that isn't the
problem - it shouldn't matter anyway if it runs or not, i was just
trying to be thorough.

>>make sure xfce-mcs-manager _is_ running.
>>

>It is.  Tried to change the theme again, ran into the same problem.
>
>I realise I should have indicated this a bit better before: There is a
>visible change, as the button icons do change.  (Gorilla gives me some
>orange icons, for example.)  The problem is that the colours, fonts, and
>object shapes (buttons, scrollbars, etc.) don't change.

this is somewhat of a long shot, but it's _possible_ that some of your gtk engines are installed incorrectly.  or they are unable to load for whatever reason.  if the engine doesn't load, but the theme still gets applied, you might see the behavior you're describing.  troubleshooting that is probably beyond the scope of what i can do without seeing the box.

have you ever run gnome2 on the box, and did that work ok with theme switching?  if so, then i'm even more confused...

	-brian