Does SCO distribute XFce or XFce4?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 27 17:28:29 CET 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, john-thomas richards wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:46:53AM -0500, csm at Lunar-Linux.org wrote:
> > Some of you may have seen that Fyodor (Nmap author) has removed SCO's
> > right to distribute Nmap.
>
> nmap is licensed under the gpl.  how can one remove another's right to
> distribute it since the gpl *guarantees* said right?

what it boils down to is that fyodor _owns_ the copyright on the nmap
code, so he can pretty much do with it whatever he damn well pleases,
including adding or removing restrictions at will.  at the point that
you add restrictions, however, an argument can be made that it isn't
truly licensed under the GPL anymore.  by rights he should rename his
license, and basically say "This sofware is licensed under the terms of
the Foobarbaz license.  The use and redistribution terms are identical
to those of the GNU GPL, with the added restriction that SCO is not
allowed to...  blah blah blah."

if we actually wanted to do something similar with xfce (which i don't
recommend - as jasper puts it, they are <expletive deleted>, we are
not), that would require that all the copyright holders would have to
agree.  likely?  i think not.

(on a side note, my first paragraph is assuming that fyodor actually is
the sole copyright holder, or that he's gotten support from all the
copyright holders to make the licensing change.  if he isn't and he
hasn't, then technically what he's doing isn't right.)

i despise SCO as much as most linux people, but i stop short at pulling
what are, IMHO, childish pranks.

	-brian