trackball

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sun Feb 22 18:34:38 CET 2004

hi all,

I just bought a logitech usb trackman wheel mouse.

Mandrake 9.2's mousedrake utility set it up like so:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse2"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I presume that the fact both point to /dev/mouse is why the laptop's
internal touchpad no longer works, but I'll burn that bridge later.

My question for this list is, why would the mousewheel work for
scrolling within a window, but not work for xfdesktop-type or xfwm-type
scrolling? That is, when I wheel on a title bar or on the desktop, focus
stays within the last text window I was scrolling.

I get the expected behavior if I click though. So on a titlebar, I have
to hold the right mousebutton down and roll the wheel; on the desktop I
have to hold the left button down and roll the wheel.

thanks,
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
* "We both said I love you, the Shriners loaned us cars, we raced up *