Odd problem using xfwm4.0.3 and GnuCash

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sun Feb 15 22:00:47 CET 2004

John,

Ok, I took some time digging into it and what you see is the normal
expected behaviour.

Let me try to explain (so you can pass that info the the gnucash people)

- xfwm4 places transient on top of their parents window. Fine. It's a
nice feature in xfwm4,
- The "find" dialog from gnucash specify the root window as
transient_for property, which is a (not so std, but fairly common) way
of specifying a transient fro group window,
- From EWMH specs (freedesltop std):

 *Implementing enhanced support for application transient windows*
  If the WM_TRANSIENT_FOR property is set to None or Root window, the
  window should be treated as a transient for all other windows in the
  same group. It has been noted that this is a slight ICCCM violation,
  but as this behavior is pretty standard for many toolkits and window
  managers, and is extremely unlikely to break anything, it seems
  reasonable to document it as standard.

So, the find dialog is treated as a "transient for group" window and, as
transients appear on top of their parents in xfwm4, xfwm4 place the
gnucash  "find" dialog on top of the "show/edit invoice" window which is
a regular window of the same group (same window id # of group leader) -
No bug in xfwm4 here.

Cheers,
Olivier.

--