Error installing plugin

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sun Feb 8 16:15:12 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 03:29, John Shane wrote:
> Hmmm,  I've only recently discovered apt-get on rh and then synaptic
> as a GUI for apt .  urpmi, eh?  Well, I tried pointing synaptic at it
> but came up empty.  So I went googling to see what I could learn and
> was impressed by the description.  Just to see if it'd work I tried
> installing the Mandrake rpm I found for urpmi and was greeted by a
> long list of dependencies.  Looks like I need urpmi to install it. ;-)
> John  (sorry, folks, I realize this is getting off topic, enough about
> urpmi on an xfce list ;-)

It's a Mandrake tool -- I don't think it's been ported to Red Hat, but
it would probably work in theory if you tried to build it from source.

In practice, you'd be mixing RPM repositories, which is bad ju-ju.
Different naming schemes, different version numbers, different patch
levels, all gonna bite ya at some point. If you're going RPM, pick a
distro and stick to it, and don't get tempted by Ximian Red Carpet. If
none of them seem to do what you want, go Debian or a source-based like
Lunar or Gentoo. Or Slackware, or *BSD... XFce4 will work on all of
them.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
* "Now Billy's out there in the desert sun and his mother cries when *