Uploaded CLAW again

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 03:35:43 CET 2004

> what i've seen done elsewhere is one of two things.
> one that i'm not
> particularly thrilled with for aesthetic reasons,
> another that
> unfortunately incurs a bit of a performance penalty.
> 1) all branches
> have twisties by default, and only by loading that
> directory (either by
> clicking on the directory or expanding the twisty)
> do you find out if
> there's actually a branch off there.  if not, the
> twisty disappears.

You just can't win can you?

> 2) whenever a tree is expanded (or, on startup, for
> everything off the root), you peek into each subdir
> and see if there are any directories.
> unfortunately i can't think of a quick way offhand
> to do this - if you
> peek in and see a directory fairly soon, you're
> good, but if there
> aren't any directories, you just spent an arbitrary
> amount of time
> reading the entire directory (however large it is).
> i wonder how the
> 'find' program does searches when you specify '-type
> d'....

You suppose that I'd use BASH for this? Hmmmm...
Python has built in directory listing and sorting
functions. Imagine spending 3 secs on /usr/lib/ then 2
seconds on /dev then ... and so on. I just don't think
that the time penality is worth either system (neither
of which you are happy with either).

> i'm not entirely sure what you mean here.  how is it
> unsafe to click -
> just click - on an icon and see immediate feedback
> on the selection in
> the form of a highlight or a rectangle around it (or
> something).  i do
> agree that 'unsafe' actions should be protected,
> e.g., a delete confirmation dialog.

I am not ready to write the confirm dialogs in. I am
working on the mime-type editor.

> hehe.  i don't think it's all that picky - the point
> of a toggle is that
> when you select it you can tell, at a glance,
> whether the option is
> selected or not.  otherwise the only way to know,
> say, if the "auto
> resize" toggle is selected is to go and do something
> that would cause an
> automatic resize.  somewhat annoying, imho.  the
> solution to this, i
> think is to make a wrapper function - an example
> illustrates best (this
> is pseudocode; i don't know python):
> create_menu_item(string name, string tooltip,
> function callback, pixbuf
> icon, boolean is_toggle)
> or, if you want to be more flexible, the last
> parameter can be an enum
> type, of which you have BUTTON_NORMAL,
> BUTTON_TOGGLE, BUTTON_...

Do I look like this is a _real_ concern of mine? If I
really cared, I'd put an option in the preferences
menu.

> this goes hand-in-hand with the lack of initial
> twisties on the
> directory tree.  now that you mention this point
> about moving about
> whithout committing, i realise where this comes
> from.  this is totally
> your call - but if you implement something that
> either always shows
> twisties (until you read the dir and find out if
> there are or aren't any
> subdirs), or something that peeks into directories
> on expansion, then
> you can change the behaviour to single-click and
> still have this option
> to move about without committing.

Single click expansion + "peeking". Peeking is
impossible. You either have to read the directory
until you find a directory (in which case you minus
well just list the thing) or you wait. Those are the
two choices.