Uploaded CLAW again

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Feb 7 07:04:06 CET 2004

looks pretty cool so far.  some suggestions tho...

still a few major problems:
1) claw2.py line 47: the string says "mime.xml "  <-- notice the extra
space at the end, won't find the file
2) claw2.py line 1336: "IndexError: list index out of range" -  looks
like the 'extensions' array is larger than the 'pics' array, and so
we're running off the end of the 'pics' array since you're bounding 'y'
with 'range(len(extensions))'.
3) claw2.py line 1418: if the file doesn't exist (e.g. it's a symlink
pointing to nothing), we crash here (i temporarily changed it to
os.lstat(...) just to make it work)

then the minor/cosmetic stuff:
1) i have 599 files in my homedir, and the claw took ~15s just to start up
2) when i delete a file in my homedir, it appears to reread the entire
directory, taking another 10-15s
3) when it started up, the tree view on the left was about 10 pixels wide
4) the treeview starts up without any "twisties" to expand branches, so
the folder icons are flush against the left side of the window.  if you
click on a folder, it opens, a twisty appears, and the folders shift to
the right.  not a major problem, but it's not all that aesthetically
pleasing either.
5) when i click on an icon in the file view, there's no selection
box/highlight color, so i have no idea which item is selected (if there
is one at all).  perhaps that's just my theme, but i do know that other
apps get the highlighting correct.
6) the icon spacing in the file view is _huge_ - i suspect due to a few
exceptionally long file names on some files.  at any rate, my screen res
is 1600x1200, and the 6 columns of icons don't fit on one screen width.
best idea is to truncate names longer than X and append an ellipsis to
the end.  also, the # of columns should be configurable based on window
size and/or screen width.
7) main toolbar - several of the buttons are toggles, and should be
ToggleButtons rather than regular Buttons
8) once i'm in a directory, if i click or double click on another folder
in the tree, nothing happens.  i have to right click and click 'open' to
actually get the files.  this isn't terribly intuitive (or necessary).
9) just my personal preference, but the "auto resize main window"
feature seems a little silly.  when i tried it, i navigated from my
homedir (with the huge window) to a directory with a single file in it -
the window shrunk to this tiny, unusable thing, about 5% its original size.
10) when i clicked the "toggles showing hidden files" button, my machine
shot to 100% cpu and the app froze for about 7 seconds.  there was only
one file in the directory i had selected (none hidden), so i don't know
what the holdup is.
11) if i enable the second file pane, click in it, and then disable it,
if i try to open other directories, they (presumably) get opened in the
2nd pane (which is hidden).  i shouldn't need to click back on pane #1
after hiding the 2nd one.
12) the menu in the tree pane behaves differently than in the file
pane.  in the tree pane, a right click followed by a release causes the
menu to appear, then disappear.  in the file pane, a click causes the
menu to appear, and the release leaves it there (unless you select a
menu item, of course).
13) right click->open on a file doesn't work - python reports
"TypeError: fileMenuClicked() takes exactly 5 arguments (4 given)".
double click seems to work tho.
14) if i drag a directory into the 'bookmarks' list, the 'Empty' item
does not disappear.  if i delete everything in the list, the 'Empty'
item does not reappear.  personally i'd say scrap the label entirely, i
think an empty list is pretty self-explanatory.

overall it's a cool filebrowser.  it just needs a bit of polish.

    -brian