OT: thoughts on the methodology of the CALW (Was: The Claw is up to get down(loaded))

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 20:59:21 CET 2004

Well,

> I am assuming that this is some sort of school
> assignment.  I just want
> to say (and this is OT) that this points out just
> how different things
> have become since I've been in college.  We were
> expected (heck, we *had
> to*, under threat of expulsion) work on our
> assignments in private, by
> ourselves, with no outside assistance.  Simply
> posting your work and
> asking for comments would have been grounds for
> disciplinary action.
>
> I would guess that you will have learned a lot more,
> and produced a far
> better "assignment" by the route you are taking
> today, than what I would
> have had to take some 25 years ago.
>
> Not only that, you have many, many more "graders"
> than I had.  The
> wonders of open source, and best of luck to you.

I think this reflects the different nature of software
development these days. In the old days, when
proprietary software ruled the server room, you had to
keep your company secrets ... well ... a secret.
Today, the word in interoperability. And so we are
welcome to create, invent and share our software so
that it meets "standards" and plays well with others.
You're right though. Things have opened up alot. And
in my mind, that makes everything better.