Crashes on FreeBSD 5.3 using RC2

Jakob Breivik Grimstveit jakob at grimstveit.no
Wed Dec 29 09:43:46 CET 2004

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> You could try to put the following lines in the file /etc/libmap.conf on
> your system (dunno whats the 5.3-RELEASE default here):
>
> libpthread.so.1         libpthread.so.1 # Everything uses 'libpthread'
> libpthread.so           libpthread.so
> libc_r.so.5             libpthread.so.1 # Everything that uses 'libc_r'
> libc_r.so               libpthread.so   # now uses 'libpthread'

/etc/libmap.conf contained a few lines related to flash-player
installation (now gone) I tried earlier. First I just added the lines
quoted above to the bottom of the file, which made xfce4-panel to crash on
the second application launch from the panel - consistently! :-)

Then I decided to remove the entire file (FreeBSD 5.3 plain does
not provide /etc/libmap.conf at all) - this still gave a crash every
second application click.

But by just supplying your lines - and only those - in /etc/libmap.conf
made it rock solid. Panel no longer crashes. After posting this I will
restart X and see whether this provides better stability for all
xfce4.2-rc3 applications.

No xml-save-error messages appear either upon launch, terminal is quiet
until I CTRL+C's the panel:

$ ./local/bin/xfce4-panel
^C** Message: xfce4-panel: Exit

Thank you very much, Benedikt!