Crashes on FreeBSD 5.3 using RC2

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 00:15:01 CET 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 03:21:49 +0100, Jakob Breivik Grimstveit
<jakob at grimstveit.no> wrote:
> I have for a while now used the ports-patch to get RC1 of Xfce 4.2
> running, but it has been very buggy. I just now downloaded the installer
> from www.os-cillation.de and changed my .xinitrc to point to
> $HOME/local/bin/startxfce4 and everything seems to start up nicely.
>
> However, just as in RC1 using the ports patch, using either the panel or
> right-clicking the desktop makes the application in question crash.
>
> Path to runlog:
> <http://www.grimstveit.no/jakob/files/temp/startxfce4log>

Disclaimer: I'm just a user . . .

By, application in question, what do you mean? Looks like all the
running apps loose their X connection - does X crash or hang? Are any
other apps usable? What can you do before right clicking that works?
Is it only right clicking on the desktop that causes the crash?

On another note, you really should listen to this line in the log

_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root

Recent versions of X.org will not start if this isn't fixed (if  I
recall correctly) for security reasons

-Erik

> Am I doing anything wrong here?
>
> Same directory above also contains xfce4-panel.core and xfdesktop.core
> from the crash.
>
> System:
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD hombre.grimstveit.no 5.3-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p1 #14:
> Sun Nov 21 20:59:48 CET 2004
> root at hombre.grimstveit.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HOMBRE  i386
>
> $ ./local/bin/xfwm4 --version
>         This is xfwm4 version 4.1.99.2 for Xfce 4.1.99.2
>         built with GTK+-2.4.13, linked with GTK+-2.4.13.
>
> Thanks for any help on this, since I love Xfce4 in general (4.0.6 was
> great, but I'd love to hop on the Xfce4.2 bandwagon at once!).
>
> Quick screenshot of my desktop (probably of no use):
> <http://www.grimstveit.no/jakob/files/temp/xfce4rc2.png>
>
> --
> Jakob Breivik Grimstveit, <http://www.grimstveit.no/jakob/>, 48298152
> Besøk Newsergalleriet: <http://www.newsergalleriet.no/>
>
> Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

-Erik