4.1.99 slow

Olivier FOURDAN fourdan.olivier at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 16 20:17:29 CET 2004

Hi

> am i right in understanding that my being able to use it (without it
> being sluggish) will be down to new versions of the ati kernel drivers
> (i have a radeon card and use the kernel drivers for it rather than the
> ati ones)? or is it likely to always be slow on my hardware (radeon 9000
> mobile w/ 32mb). it's no biggie, but the drop shadows look so nice ... :)

Don't ask us, ask ATI.

In the mean time, you can disable the compositor in xfwm4 from its command line

xfwm4 --compositor=on
xfwm4 --compositor=auto
xfwm4 --compositor=off

on = Turn internal compositor on if composite extensions are present on the display,
auto = enable X Server compositor, do not use xfwm4 compositor,
off = Turn off compositing all together.

So in your case, simply fire a terminal and do:

killall xfwm4 && xfwm4 --compositor=off &

Then when you save the session, it will remain off.

If, later on you wish to switch it on again, do the reverse like that:

killall xfwm4 && xfwm4 --compositor=on &

HTH
Olivier.