Different # of virtual workspaces on monitors

Thu Dec 16 04:49:42 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 19:30 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:

snip

> >Also, there is only one instance of xfwm4 running, though there are two
> >instances of xfce4-panel running.
> >
> yep.  the workspaces have nothing to do with the panel and everything to
> do with xfwm4.  so in this case, no, as it's set up now, there's no way
> to have a different number of workspaces on different heads, xinerama or
> not.

Ok, that actually raises another question.

In xinerama mode, one can drag an application from one screen to
another, since the two displays are virtual extensions of the same
workspace. In my case, it would be a single 3200 x 1200 display across
two 1600 x 1200 LCDs.

In non-xinerama mode, the two screens are "independent" of each other,
which I prefer and which is actually better performing (for logical
reasons) in terms of screen updates.

Is there any means to move an application from a workspace on screen 0
to a workspace on screen 1 in non-xinerama mode?

If there is only a single instance of xfwm4 running, it is therefore
controlling application windows and workspaces on both screens, is it
not?  If so, then is the functionality that I am asking about possible?

Thanks,

Marc