starting XFCE4 without gdm

Jacques Montier jacmonti at club-internet.fr
Sat Dec 11 18:19:14 CET 2004

Tom Wesley a gentiment ecrit le 11.12.2004 16:21

> I haven't tried it, but I don't see why the following shouldn't work:
>
>   Edit /etc/rc.conf to have xfce4 in the XSESSION variable at the bottom
>   # emerge sudo -av
>   Edit /etc/init.d/local.start and add "sudo -H sudo -H -u tom startx"
>
> There may be better/easier ways, but start would probably work :)
>
> Tom

I've tried it and i get a "command not found"
message for sudo and startx and local can't start.

I've tried something else :
in /etc/init.d/xdm, i added

   case "${MY_XDM}" in

   xfce)
                   EXE=/usr/bin/startxfce4
                    ;;

Then i ran the /etc/init.d/xdm runscript with
DISPLAYMANAGER="xfce" in rc.conf

So xfce4 starts at boot, but as root, not as user.

Jacques