Terminal 0.2.0 available

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Dec 2 23:32:21 CET 2004

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 16:01 -0600, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>
>>Indeed! I especially like the preferences dialog. If I am not mistaken,
>>terminal has made xfce4-terminal obsolete?
>

> Not really, Terminal has dependency requirements that goes far beyond
> the current Xfce platform.
> So xfce4-terminal is not obsolete yet and I hope Eduard can keep working
> on it :)

Well, far beyond is probably not correct. The only dependency that is
kinda `far beyond' is vte, else its Xfce/libexo and D-BUS (which will
maybe become a dependency for Xfce 4.4 as well).

But Olivier's right, Terminal is not ment to obsolete xfce4-terminal,
its an alternative for users. Besides that, I'm not in favour of putting
3rd party stuff into Xfce core; instead we should try to keep the core
lightweight and clean and a terminal emulator is definetly 3rd party,
else we'll end up like KDE one day. Just the core desktop apps, like
window manager, session manager, panel, taskbar, desktop manager and
some small utilities, thats it.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

greets,