4.2 Newbie: Icons in Desktop Menu?

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Wed Dec 1 21:58:19 CET 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 11/30/04 10:41, Erik Harrison wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:18:09 -0500, Andrew Conkling <andrewski at fr.st> wrote:
>>
>>>Some time ago (probably on Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:37:57 -0700)
>>>Matt Thompson <thompsma at colorado.edu> had occasion to say the following:

>>>Matt,
>>>Install a third-party app, like Rox or idesk.  Icon support in xfdesktop
>>>will (possibly/probably?) be added in 4.4.
>>

>>He's not asking about desktop icons, he's asking about icons in the menu.
>>
>>Works for me Matt. The error you're getting is a librsvg bug, but I
>>don't think it actually causes the problem. File a bug at
>>bugs.xfce.org.
>>
>>Brian, the xfdesktop maintainer, said he'd rather bogus bugs go there
>>than mentioned on the mailing lists and never tracked. So, even if it
>>is a known librsvg issue, it's still the right thing to do ;-)
>

> except for the fact that that SVG "bug" is listed in the bug tracker three
> times, and marked duplicate on two of them.  i really don't know what would
> be causing this missing icons problem, but i'll look into it later today.

I've never had any icons in my menus, even though I've tried.  Could it
have anything to do with not installing gtk-xfce-engine-2 in the gtk
location?  Mine gets installed in /opt/xfce4 with the rest of the Xfce
stuff, but gtk is not installed there; I just haven't gotten around to
fixing that.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA