xfce corporate/kiosk use

l.hazlett at tde.com.au l.hazlett at tde.com.au
Mon Aug 30 07:48:19 CEST 2004

Hi! I'm in the process of setting up xfce for use in a corporate
environment, and am wondering what is the best way to do this. Ideally,
users would not be able to:
- start a terminal (this is a must!),
- change the menu,
- change the panel,
- access the settings manager.

I've added the lines
"XFCE_DISABLE_USER_CONFIG=1
export XFCE_DISABLE_USER_CONFIG"
to my /etc/xfce/default.session before the panel is started, but this
doesn't seem to affect anything! A "echo $XFCE_DISABLE_USER_CONFIG"
confirms that this variable is set, so I assume it should be working.
Could someone confirm for me what this is supposed to change, the wording
in the faq says it will prevent changes to the menu, but how does this
work?

System is debian testing xfce 4.0.6.

Any help appreciated.

Lloyd.