minor settings problems

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 28 18:24:02 CEST 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Felipe Lopes wrote:

> Maybe I was not clear when I told my problem...I am using the 4.0.3 indeed,
> which is the last package from Debain...My problem has to do with settings
> of monitor or videocard....
> Lemme try to explain again:
>
> There is this bg: xfce-stripes.png...It has some gradient by default,
> agreed?? There is (propably) a miss configuration of XF86Config-4 (probably)
> which makes this gradient no to be smooth...

hmm, this might be a language thing...  do you mean transparency?
xfce-stripes.png is a semi-transparent image, but it doesn't use
gradients (at least not how i understand the word).  i suppose the color
depth setting could cause the alpha compositing to not work out so
nicely (xfdesktop 'overlays' the desktop image on top of your background
color, so if parts of the image are transparent, the background color
shows through).  if that's the case, i'm not sure what to tell you,
sorry.

> I assume that this problem and the icon problem (probably) has nothing to do
> w/ xfce4 itself, but I thought that someone, while trying to set xfce4, had
> the same problem and found a solution for it :)

i believe another poster mentioned some places you might want to look to
find icons.  in addition to what was mentioned, also try those same
paths with /usr/local instead of /usr.  if memory serves, firefox
installs its icons to its own installation directory, so if firefox is
installed to /opt/firefox, the icons may be in /opt/firefox/icons.  of
course, the debian package you probably used to install it may have
overriden this behavior and placed it somewhere else.

> About updating to 4.0.5, since I am new to linux, it might be a good idea
> wait 4.0.5 get to debian repositories before.

not sure, i believe someone has .debs of 4.0.5 up in a repository
somewhere, though i don't remember where.  a search through the mailing
list archives would probably be the best place to look.

	-brian