State of Desktop

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 27 17:50:48 CEST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Adam Retter wrote:

> According to the FAQ - this will be introduced in 4.2 or later in 4.4?
>
> Any idea of the development cycle? i.e. will the wait for native desktop
> icon support be a long time?

as with most things in OSS-land... "it'll be ready when it's ready."

i'm also hoping that by 4.3 (the development cycle that will come
after stable 4.2 is released), we'll be having some 'stable' dev
releases (i know, oxymoron), so things like desktop icons will be
available for those who are a little more adventurous.  at the very
least, hopefully it'll be possible to do an early alpha/beta release of
xfdesktop w/icons that will run against the non-dev 4.2 libraries.

	-brian