icons on desktop with xfce

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 26 04:50:48 CEST 2004

040425 Sami Samhuri wrote:
>> Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:40:01PM +0200 when virtuoso2001 said:
>> i've seen from screenshots that xfce doesn't provide desktop icons
>> like windows xp. how can i fix this problem ?
> It's a feature, not a problem. :)
> Of course that depends who you're talking to.
> The way to "fix" this is to use a desktop which supports icons.
> I don't use one, but Rox seems to be popular with XFCE users.
> If you're looking for WinXP-like functionality
> I wouldn't really suggest XFCE.

hear, hear, esp the last.  as a potential user, Virtuoso should understand
that XFCE has launchers in the panel & a desktop menu to come in 4.2 (IIRC),
while the way to access documents in XFCE is either to start an editor (etc)
or a terminal or to use the file-manager Xffm (or another of his choice).
M$ mixes all these things up as desktop icons
because it lacks terminals, launchers & multiple desktops
& feels free to choose how to open documents w/o asking the user first.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca