XFCE & QT Apps

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Sat Apr 24 00:42:30 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 08:22, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> 040307 Bernhard Walle wrote re accelerating start-up of KDE apps:
> > I use this in my ~/.xinitrc
> >   if [ `ps aux | grep $USER | grep kdeinit | wc -l` -le 2 ] ; then
> >       kdeinit &
> >   fi
> > It starts a kdeinit process
> > which makes starting KDE applications much faster
> > because the first KDE application starts the dcopserver
> > and this is now done by kdeinit.
>
> i use several KDE apps on my XFCE desktops & the 1st is slow to start,
> as it has to load the KDE libs & start the Dcop server.
> i tried BW's addition to  ~/.xfce4/xinitrc  (his file is  ~/.xinitrc ),
> but if i place the lines before the start of the panel,
> the panel size is reduced, as are the panel fonts (rather ugly),
> while if i place them after the start of the panel,
> the KDE stuff doesn't start at all.
>
> it wb nice to have XFCE start the KDE stuff -- if requested --
> after it has started all the XFCE pieces,
> but while the user gets his/her desktops (& thoughts) organised for the day,
> so that the 1st KDE app can start with minimum delay.
>
> does anyone have explanations or suggestions ?

I thought (read somewhere sometime a while ago) that XFCE4 will make use
of the ~.kde/Autostart directory - that being the case, couldn't you
create a link to /usr/bin/kdeinit there and then be able to load your
KDE apps afterward with a tad bit more speed?

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com