XFCE & QT Apps

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 24 00:22:52 CEST 2004

040307 Bernhard Walle wrote re accelerating start-up of KDE apps:
> I use this in my ~/.xinitrc
>   if [ `ps aux | grep $USER | grep kdeinit | wc -l` -le 2 ] ; then
>       kdeinit &
>   fi
> It starts a kdeinit process
> which makes starting KDE applications much faster
> because the first KDE application starts the dcopserver
> and this is now done by kdeinit.

i use several KDE apps on my XFCE desktops & the 1st is slow to start,
as it has to load the KDE libs & start the Dcop server.
i tried BW's addition to  ~/.xfce4/xinitrc  (his file is  ~/.xinitrc ),
but if i place the lines before the start of the panel,
the panel size is reduced, as are the panel fonts (rather ugly),
while if i place them after the start of the panel,
the KDE stuff doesn't start at all.

it wb nice to have XFCE start the KDE stuff -- if requested --
after it has started all the XFCE pieces,
but while the user gets his/her desktops (& thoughts) organised for the day,
so that the 1st KDE app can start with minimum delay.

does anyone have explanations or suggestions ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca