Dear Mime Type Gurus

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 14 18:11:00 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Andy Choens wrote:

> Well, then at the risk of asking a dumb question...how stable is 4.1.x?
> If this is a fairly "stable" development tree, I might try to go and
> upgrade.  But, if  this is "normal" development tree I might not want to
> do this, since this computer is my main desktop.

i think we can make the claim that it's generally stable in that crashes
should be very rare, and hopefully won't occur at all.  there are
certainly problems, but i haven't seen any that have affected a large
range of people that didn't get fixed within a day or two.

feature-wise, it's not really all that stable.  right now the icon
theming for the panel and desktop menu is somewhat-broken, pending some
decisions and work on how to best fix it.  i run CVS both at home and at
work, and it's been fine with a few annoyances.  granted, i'm also a
dev, so i can generally fix stuff on my own, so my opinion in that area
is a bit biased.

also note that you don't have to upgrade your entire desktop to CVS.
while it's not supported (not that CVS is really "supported" anyway),
it's certainly possible to upgrade the foundation libraries to CVS, and,
in your case, just xffm, and still run the 4.0.x panel and WM (etc.).
the integration may be a little weird, but you can upgrade at your
discretion, as long as libxfce4util, libxfce4mcs, libxfcegui4, and
probably xfce-mcs-manager and xfce-mcs-plugins are the
latest-and-greatest.

if you're installing from binary packages, just remember that you should
remove the packages that you upgrade from source, just to be safe that
no old libraries are floating around.

and also remember that if it breaks, you get to keep the pieces ^_~.

	-brian