Terminal and Environment variables

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Tue Apr 6 14:51:58 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 22:58 -0400, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> There are.  Check out $BROWSER and $TERMCMD.  If you look at the xfce
> scipts such as help you'll see there is (or was) a browser variable.  I
> set it in my /etc/bash.rc file which is sourced by all users.  You can
> set it in your local profiles if you want.

Yes, my question is why these aren't used in the default menu.  It would
be nice, because that's really the only change I'd wish to make therein
at this time.  However, since they are statically linked only to Mozilla
and xfterm4:

    <app name="Terminal" cmd="xfterm4" />
    <app name="Web Browser" cmd="mozilla"/>

it's impossible.  The really frustrating thing is that the Mozilla
installed on my computer doesn't have the command "mozilla".  So it
doesn't do anything.  I think it should be changed to something like

    <app name="Terminal" cmd="$TERMCMD" />
    <app name="Web Browser" cmd="$BROWSER" />

though I'm not sure if that would work, as I don't know the ins and outs
of environment variables and xml editing.