xfce4 on old distros [was: (no subject)]

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 6 06:57:34 CEST 2004

i really wouldn't recommend trying to retrofit an old pre-gtk2 distro
with the required libs and xfce4.  there are a bunch of annoying issues
related to updating xfree86, xft, fontconfig, etc.  getting this to work
right is a bit of a hit-or-miss situation, and upgrading to a more
recent distro would take a lot less time and hassle.

at any rate, rh7.x isn't supported by redhat anymore, and they aren't
releasing things like security updates, so i'd suggest upgrading to
fedora (fedora core 1 is out, fedora core 2 should be our within a week
i think).

    -brian

p.s. please make use of the subject line, especially when you're
addressing a mailing list