xfce version 3 vs. 4 : missing features?

Rob Lahaye lahaye at snu.ac.kr
Sun Apr 4 05:09:23 CEST 2004

29 Sep 2003, Biju Chacko wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:34:23 +0900, Rob Lahaye wrote:
>
>> I have tried new version 4 recently and almost instantly missed features that
>> I use so often in version 3. Suprisingly, whatever I tried and searched, these
>> features seem to be absent in 4. Here's what I'm talking about:
 >>
>> 2) midle-mouse-click on root window
>> In version 3, this gives a list of operators on windows
>> (e.g. move, resize, (de)iconify, etc.)
>
> Right-click menu on a title bar. I suppose this could be added to xfdesktop, but
> it's not needed anymore.

A general 'move', as Xfce-3 allows with the middle-mouse-click on the root-window,
is not there anymore in Xfce-4.

Very small windows (e.g. xbiff) have, by default, a too small title bar (or even
no title bar at all) and can be moved this way in Xfce-3. In Xfce-4, I only can
'move' if the window has a title bar, and the title bar must be of decent size.
This is not convenient.

>> 4) How to create an application window without windowbar, sticky,
>> always-ontop etc. In xfce3, I have in xfwmrc, f.ex:
>> Style "xbiff" NoTitle, Sticky, StayOnTop
>
> The application itself must do this itself per freedesktop standards. Gkrellm
> does it and provides a nice mailbox monitor. There is also a panel plugin to
> monitor mailboxes.

This solution seems of no use for me.

I receive my email on a remote machine, which has basic X11, e.g. xbiff.
I have no root access to this remote machine, so I cannot install other
software as you recommend. I use the remote xbiff window to indicate
that new email has arrived for me on that remote machine.

In Xfce-3, I type "ssh remote.machine.ip xbiff 48x48--5--15 -update 30 &",
and the xbiff window shows up with no-title, sticky and always-on-top,
thanks to my Xfce-3 settings.

So far I have tried Xfce 4.0.4, but this kind of thing seems to be impossible in
Xfce-4 and this is the main reason I have still not yet upgraded from version 3.

Regards,
Rob.