xfce version 3 vs. 4 : missing features?

hugh d fegely wolffe at cavtel.net
Mon Sep 29 19:27:58 CEST 2003

No, sorry, I'm not the only one who wants a customized desktop out there..

Even within the "limitations" of other window managers/desktop environments, look at the various amounts of tweaking people do in Themes for their favorite environment.

Those of us who are not programmers, but are at least computer savvy enough to be able to understand how to edit an .ini file or find files in a directory tree without much problem, WANT the configurability options that can be made available (and have been available in the past in many cases).

If all we, as a community, are going to do is stick to basic standards, and not "push the limits" as I have been used to seeing in just about everything Linux, then again I say, we might as well go back to using windoze, or at least start writing our checks out to SCO...

Don't get me wrong, I really DO like XFce overall. I am just asking for more user configurability. If I could do it myself, I would, but as the only programming skill I have is "Hello, World!" I am ASKING for this to be implemented. Even if it's something as simple as limiting the selected icons to come from a specific directory (/usr/share/icons or even ~/.xfce4/icons) and/or a specific type (.png, gif, ico, bmp, xfce-custom-picture-file-type-that-no-one-else-can-use).

Heck, we can customize the icons in the panel; how about implementing a small check in the iconbox and/or taskbar (don't run taskbar, as mentioned by someone else it looks too much like windoze). have it check to see if (a) there is a "freedesktop.org" compliant standard icon provided. If not, have it check to see if the user has selected on in the panel. If not that, THEN use the "default".

Like I said before, if I could, I *would* program this myself. I am not a programmer, and it will be months if not years before I can get to the level of capability you guys have. I do understand enough basics about programming to understand the hard work you have put into this, and I am not trying to belittle your efforts.

Please do not belittle my requests and desires as one of your users. From what I can see here, I'm not the only one asking questions regarding configurability and usability of XFce4, and requesting future enhancements to our favorite desktop environment.