xfce version 3 vs. 4 : missing features?

Marcus von Appen mva at sysfault.org
Mon Sep 29 18:12:02 CEST 2003

Hi hugh,

on Mon, 29 Sep 2003, hugh d fegely wrote:

> Gotta go with David here. "Standards" -- isn't that what the "Microsoft"
> desktop is, basically -- a standard? One that I (and I'm sure MANY like me)
> came to use Linux for.. their "standard" was too limiting, and we WANTED the
> configurability.

You wanted ;-).

> If I want all my Icons to be Smiley Faces instead of whatever "canned"
> default is given to me by the program/desktop/operating system, then I
> should be able to do it..

You are, see below.

> Since the requests from before seem to have fallen to the wayside due to
> "standards compliance" regarding the configurability of icons in the icon
> box, and there are still people who miss at least some of the old XFce3
> functionality with the minimized icons on the desktop, then once again I
> have to ask "why not include a little more USER REQUESTED functionality" to
> our desktop environment?
>
> Standards? Bah... standards are rules, and they're meant to be broken ;)

No. Standards are only guide lines. If they'd be rules, I would not see so many
incompliant web pages out there, a lousy web server called 'IIS' and many other
things...
Do not blame the team here for not doing something, _you_ want.

As you know, XFCE is free software. If some things do disturb you, hack your
changes into the code and be happy. Or ask someone, who is willing to do it.
I think, the xfce team did a great job with 4.x, although some things might be
disturbing (personally I dislike the limit of 'only' ten hotkeys if xfwm4, but
I can live with it for now).

If the project members do not think, your wish might be helpful in general, you
are free to implement it yourself and (optionally, but preferred :) release it
for others, too.

Is there a possibility to make a 'inofficial patch' section on the xfce site
for such cases (or the demand)?

Regards
Marcus

--
We don't understand the software, and sometimes we don't understand the
hardware, but we can *see* the blinking lights!