Combining XFCE and Pekwm

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Mon Sep 29 16:33:05 CEST 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:19:29 -0400, HaywireMac wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:15:06 +0530
> Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> uttered:
>
> > edit .xfce4/xinitrc. Comment out 'xfwm4 -daemon' and add 'pekwm &' in
> > the same
> > position. Note that onlt WMs which are NetWM-compliant work well with
> > XFce4.
>
> ya, I found that out. Pekwm is missing "window manager hints" compliance
> (like I even understand what that means).
>
> Pek is in heavy duty development, so I hold much hope for the future!
>
> I'm curious though, in the XFCE docs, it says to put xfwm4 -daemon *not*
> in the last line of the startup script, whereas with any WM I've ever
> used, it is customary, mayhap required, to have the WM as the last
> entry, no?

Usually, the last line is the session controlling app. However, it's kinda
clunky to use xfwm4 for that because it has no way to exit itself (and hence the
session). It has no menu, for example, with an item saying "Exit WM". So you
would have to run

~$ pkill xfwm4

to shut it (and the X session) down. The panel and xfdesktop4 both have ways to
exit themselves, so it's preferable to use them. If you install xfce4-session
from CVS, the startup scripts will automatically use that as the session
controller.

Hope this clears things up.

-- b