xfce version 3 vs. 4 : missing features?

Bob Marcan bob at interstudio.homeunix.net
Mon Sep 29 10:34:35 CEST 2003

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, David O'Shaughnessy wrote:
>

>>I've never understood this. The taskbar lets you access all the windows
>>easily, and it doesn't take up much space. If you have your minimised
>>windows on the desktop, then you have to move things out of the way /
>>minimise all windows to get at them. That seems very cumbersome to me. The
>>way XFce3 worked was the reason I deleted it ;)
>

> Dave,
>
>   When we strip away all the surface arguments the problem core is this: we
> each have a different, preferred way to work. Unlike in the Microsoft world
> we're used to choices, not to having the One True Way forced upon us.
>
>   I don't like the task bar because my first two desktops each has two
> virtual consoles open, the third desktop has pine, the fourth mozilla, etc.
> On the 10 desktops I normally have 14-16 applications open simultaneously.
> The task bar doesn't let me switch instantly from one to the other; the
> panel does.
>
>   For me -- and the type of work I do -- this is the most productive. Others
> like little icons lined up on one desktop and they click them open and shut
> as needed. My fiancee works this way so for her even four desktops is a
> waste.
>
>   All several of us are asking is that the flexibility to build or configure
> xfce be left up to us. You'd no more like being forced to work my way than I
> would like having to work your way. And why should we? When someone posts a
> "How do I ...?" question on the local geek list there are always answers
> that show how it is done in 1) the bash shell, 2) using grep/egrep, 3) using
> perl, 4) in python, 5) ... 12) in all the other favorite tools of each
> individual. Of course, we've not had a prolog or lisp solution offered yet,
> but that's because most of the local list subscribers are sysadmins. :-)
>
>   My point is that some of us don't understand why the "old", "classic"
> (gag!) or whatever you call it way of doing things cannot be retained in a
> new version. Olivier and the other developers are extremely clever coders
> and I'm sure it would not cost too many more bytes to offer us these
> options.
>
> Rich
>

> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
>
>                        Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
>             2404 SW 22nd Street | Troutdale, OR 97060-1247 | U.S.A.
>  + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
>                          http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

Richard, are we twins? :-)

How can i achieve this?
---
DestroyMenu "__builtin_exit_menu__"
AddToMenu "__builtin_exit_menu__" "&Restart" Restart xfwm
AddToMenu "__builtin_exit_menu__" "&Quit"    Quit
---
AddToMenu "__builtin_window_menu__" "&Close"        Delete
AddToMenu "__builtin_window_menu__" "&Kill"         Destroy
---

Very important for me, MB1 in root window?
DestroyMenu "__builtin_root_menu__"
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "&New window"      Exec mxterm -rightbar
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "&FileRunner"      Exec fr
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "&FileRunner root" Exec sudo fr
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "" Nop
#AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "&Remote"          popup Remote_menu
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "&Remote"          Exec Remote.sh
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "" Nop
.
.
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "" Nop
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "&Settings"        popup __settings_menu__
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "" Nop
AddToMenu "__builtin_root_menu__" "&Quit XFwm"       popup

Different background color for workspaces?
CDE have this. xfce3 too, except i don't know how to set it individual.
When i'm runnig somrthing as root i choose workspace with the red
background.

# Default icons for most common apps ?
Style "editres*"    icon "/usr/share/xfce/icons/Editres.xpm"
Style "*calc*"      icon \ "/usr/share/xfce/icons/OldBlueAddingMachine.xpm"
Style "TkPasMan*"      icon "/usr/share/xfce/icons/KeysOnChain.xpm"
(Tk applications have some problems with the icons)

MB2 in root window is now for me useless.
I like to define my own menu.

Best regards, Bob
  Bob Marcan                     mailto:bob.marcan at hermes-plus.si
  Aster^H^H...HermesPlus^H^H^H...S&T
  Slandrova ul. 2                       tel:    +386 (1) 5895-000
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia              http://www.hermes-plus.si