xfce version 3 vs. 4 : missing features?

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Mon Sep 29 06:41:20 CEST 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:34:23 +0900, Rob Lahaye wrote:

> I have tried new version 4 recently and almost instantly missed features that
> I use so often in version 3. Suprisingly, whatever I tried and searched, these
> features seem to be absent in 4. Here's what I'm talking about:

Version 4 is new code from ground up, so things will not work exactly the same.
Most basic functionality is available -- it just works slightly differently.

> 1) right-mouse-click in window title bar
>     In version 3, this is a shortcut for shading the window.
>     I like this feature so much; am I the only one, that this
>     has not been ported to version 4 ?

As others have mentioned you can have a one-click shade by using the 'shade'
button, a two-click shade by using the right-click menu, or a double-click shade
by configuring doubleclick on the title to shade.

I agree it's not the same, but I don't think it's significantly different.
Choose one of these methods and it'll be natural in a week or two.

Let me assure you that the change is not arbitrary. Compatibility is a priority
and changes are usually introduced only for compelling reasons.

> 2) midle-mouse-click on root window
>     In version 3, this gives a list of operators on windows
>     (e.g. move, resize, (de)iconify, etc.)

Right-click menu on a title bar. I suppose this could be added to xfdesktop, but
it's not needed anymore.

> 3) In version 3, the leftmost gadget in the window bar (shows as a "-"),
>     when clicked, shows a list of simular actions as in (2): move, resize,
>     (de)iconify, etc.

Still works that way. You can switch it off if you want, or move it elsewhere.

> 4) How to create an application window without windowbar, sticky,
>     always-ontop etc. In xfce3, I have in xfwmrc, f.ex:
>         Style "xbiff"  NoTitle, Sticky, StayOnTop

The application itself must do this itself per freedesktop standards. Gkrellm
does it and provides a nice mailbox monitor. There is also a panel plugin to
monitor mailboxes.

> Note that xbiff has "NoTitle", so I need "missing feature" (2) to move this
> window elsewhere!

Most applications that can switch off their titlebar (xmms, gkrellm, etc)
provide an alternative way to move themselves around, usually by dragging the
window around directly.

Hope this helps.

-- b