xfwm4 Dependency Problem...

stuartr at cox.net stuartr at cox.net
Sat Sep 27 03:01:26 CEST 2003

Could someone please point me in the right direction/ slap me upside the head
and knock some knowledge into me...

I d/l'ed the source tarball unpacked and installed everything up to
xfwm4-4.0.0/
including xfwm4-themes-4.0.0/

when I ./configure in xfwm4-4.0.0 i get

	checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
	checking for gethostbyname... yes
	checking for connect... yes
	checking for remove... yes
	checking for shmat... yes
	checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
	checking for main in -lX11... yes
	checking for main in -lXpm... no
	configure: error: The Xpm library was not found on you system

however find / -iname 'libxpm*' -print
reports

	/usr/share/doc/libxpm4-3.4k
	/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.11
	/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4
	/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so

I also copied the xpm.h file to /usr/X11R6/include/ and /usr/X11R6/include/X11

I can't figure out what the ./configure script is doing, I have put echo
statements allover the place in the section dealing with xpm, I even changed
the check to always report that xpm IS found, but that bombs out in make with

	/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so: undefined reference to `_fxstat'
	collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
	make[2]: *** [xfwm4] Error 1
	make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/me/tmp/xfce-4.0.0/src/xfwm4-4.0.0/src'
	make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
	make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/me/tmp/xfce-4.0.0/src/xfwm4-4.0.0'
	make: *** [all] Error 2

rpm also reports that about 10 other programs are using the xpm package, so
other things are finding it.  As far as I can tell there are no other xpm
packages that I can install (ie xpm-devel... or xpm2.0 or anything)

I am on Mandrake 9.1 and considering adding a second story to my house so I
can jump off a two story building not just a single.

Please Help.