'xauth list' doesn't work in xfce4 (for me)

Dale Blount xfce4-list at dale.us
Thu Sep 18 22:51:44 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 16:37, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:19:08 -0400
> Dale Blount <xfce4-list at dale.us> graced me with:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 16:07, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> > > On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:07:52 -0400
> > > Dale Blount <xfce4-list at dale.us> graced me with:

> > > I'm using RC3 under Mandrake 9.1 and it works fine for me under an
> > > xterm logged in as user.
> > >
> > > Could you have messed up your permissions, somehow? Whenever I can
> > > do something *only* as root, not user, permissions comes to mind.
> > >
> > > Possible?
> > >

> > Very possible and probable.  Yet it works in fluxbox and gnome as a
> > user, so it must be something that xfce4 does differently than the
> > rest(which is why I'm asking on this list).  I'm using startxfce4 to
> > start xfce, is there another way to do this or a way to get more debug
> > logs?
>
> I'm using a stock 'startxfce4' to start XFce-4 at the console. I have it
> placed in '/usr/local/bin'.
>
> Since I'm not starting XFce through kdm or gdm, I get no help from
> '~/.xsession-errors'. At this point, I haven't any idea where to look
> for error messages coming from the use of XFce-4.
>
> Sorry. Hope a more knowledgeable user can help you.

Thanks everyone for your attempts.  I deleted the .Xauthority and ran
'xauth generate :0' as a user in rc4.  It seemed to take.  I tested the
app I was having problems with, and it worked.  Restarted xfce4... still
worked.  Great, don't care what the problem was, just that it works now.

Thanks again,

Dale