'xauth list' doesn't work in xfce4 (for me)

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Thu Sep 18 22:37:10 CEST 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:19:08 -0400
Dale Blount <xfce4-list at dale.us> graced me with:

> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 16:07, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:07:52 -0400
> > Dale Blount <xfce4-list at dale.us> graced me with:
> >
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > I'm having a weird problem.  'xauth list' works (shows cookies) as
> > > a normal user in other window managers (flux/gnome 2.2 tried),
> > > however under xfce4 (rc2-rc4's tried), xauth list returns nothing.
> > >
> > > 'xauth list' also works when running xfce4 as root.
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a way of debugging this to find the problem, not
> > > blaming xfce in any way.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help,
> > >
> > > Dale
> > >

> > I'm using RC3 under Mandrake 9.1 and it works fine for me under an
> > xterm logged in as user.
> >
> > Could you have messed up your permissions, somehow? Whenever I can
> > do something *only* as root, not user, permissions comes to mind.
> >
> > Possible?
> >

> Very possible and probable.  Yet it works in fluxbox and gnome as a
> user, so it must be something that xfce4 does differently than the
> rest(which is why I'm asking on this list).  I'm using startxfce4 to
> start xfce, is there another way to do this or a way to get more debug
> logs?

I'm using a stock 'startxfce4' to start XFce-4 at the console. I have it
placed in '/usr/local/bin'.

Since I'm not starting XFce through kdm or gdm, I get no help from
'~/.xsession-errors'. At this point, I haven't any idea where to look
for error messages coming from the use of XFce-4.

Sorry. Hope a more knowledgeable user can help you.

Paul