XFce4rc4 for Mandrake 9.1

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Thu Sep 18 18:39:41 CEST 2003

Paul M. Bucalo wrote:

> On 18 Sep 2003 08:26:57 -0700
> Jack Coates <jack at monkeynoodle.org> graced me with:
>

>>On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 08:10, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
>>
>>>I realize that you are close to completion on XFce-4, but wondered a
>>>couple of things:
>>>
>>>1) Is anyone going to compile a Mandrake-favorable set of RPM's for
>>>release four?
>>
>>see the list archives, there's an RC1 set (which I'm running) and it's
>>quite likely a final version will exist at some point.
>

> OK. I missed something. 'RC1'? Isn't the lower number a previous build,
> not later? Please explain so I don't mess up my system by installing the
> wrong version on top of 'RC4'. :0)

yeah, RC4 is more recent than RC1. If you're already running RC4, stick
with it. There's no major difference that I'm aware of between the
"released" MDK RPMS and rpm -bb [whatever].src.rpm, so might as well do
that.

>>>2) Is there enough of an improvement in release four over three to
>>>make it a concern for Mandrake users?
>>>

>>Yes, particularly in font rendering and in panel configurability.
>

> I have 'RC4' on my RH9 workstation. I haven't noticed, but then
> I spend most of my time on my MDK laptop. I'll make the upgrade as soon
> as I am clear what RPM I am looking for.
>

>>>I have no real complaints over release three on my laptop running
>>>MDK 9.1. It's an interest in having bugs fixed, improvements added,
>>>etc. I could run this release forever and not really have any
>>>issues.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Paul
>>
>>3 is a great release, but 4 is too. The big thing for me is GTK2 for
>>unified fonts. Heck, once I upgrade to Evolution 1.4 the only
>>pixelated fonts left will be in gkrellm and aterm :-)
>

> I also have Evo 1.4 on, though I stopped using it due to unresolved
> syncing problems between my USB Visor and it. :0( I'm now using
> Sylpheed-0.8.11claws. Isn't that a Gtk+2 app, as well?

Dunno bout Sylpheed,sorry. I've actually given up on PDA usage with
Linux since converting to Evolution. pilot-link + jpilot works very
well, but gnome-pilot is IMHO a useless PoS. It also seems to me that
fixing it is low priority for most of the Ximian folk.

> Thanks for the advice, Jack. I've made the switch from KDE 3.1.3 to
> XFce-4 and don't see a need to ever look back. :0)
>
> Paul

Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle.Org: Integrating Value, Simians, and Pasta Since 1996.