Ok, I know this was touched on before..

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Thu Sep 18 15:09:02 CEST 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:47:00 -0700, Bob Snyder wrote:

> Since iconbox can recognize when an app has no icon, and displays the
> default icon, why couldn't the iconbox be changed so that when it sees
> an app with no icon it allows the user to pick a different 'default'
> icon for each one?

Because thats a hack to work around broken apps. One of the unwritten rules
we've followed in XFce4 development is that we will not add work arounds for
broken apps.

One of the reasons why there are so many X applications that don't follow
standards is because every WM has work arounds for common screw-ups. Since it is
so easy to ignore them nobody bugs the developers to fix these bugs.

The icon issue is pretty trivial to fix, so there isn't much of an excuse for
applications not to fix it.

-- b