XFCE-4 + Xinerama + Maximize on second screen

Brian Masinick masinick at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 20:33:54 CEST 2003

myth47 at comcast.net wrote:

>... I would like to echo the compliment about XFce4.
>Last night I showed my wife (never touched linux) XFCE4 and AbiWord on an old
>laptop we have (P2-266).  This morning she left on a business trip carrying the
>old laptop.  I expect I'll get calls with questions but the fact is, she felt
>comfortable enough with it to take it along.  Good work, folks.
>
>>And for the people that are developping this WM, i have just one  word :
>>WONDERFUL!

I want to add a testimony to that.  About two years ago I got a Dell
Dimension 4100 computer system from a magazine publisher.  It was
partial payment for services rendered and also a tool from which I could
extensively test Linux software - and also how it interoperates with
Windows and other Linux software.

When I first got the system, my wife would have nothing to do with it.
She has an older system and it runs Windows 98 SE.  Over time, her
system has gotten bogged down by bugs, Windows registry entries that are
probably out of date, updates that are needed, and so on.  These days
she uses her system mostly for accessing the Web to read Web based
Email, for reading news, and for visiting her favorite on line apparel
stores, particularly Gymboree and similar places.  She has little need
for huge office suites, though on occasion she may produce a resume or a
letter, that's about it.

Over time, my wife grew more and more frustrated with her old system and
noticed how effortlessly I was able to process my Email, browse the Web,
and edit files, which is probably over 75% of what I typically do, too.
Finally, one night, she asked if she could use my system instead of hers
to read her Email.  When she saw how much better it worked, next thing I
knew, she'd visit her Gymboree and other sites on my system, too.

I've used KDE, IceWM, GNOME, XFCE, and scores of other window managers,
but recently, I've used XFCE whenever possible.  I've had my wife using
XFCE 3, and lately, she's used XFCE 4 (without having any idea that
she's using test software).

I have to tell you that my wonderful wife can be fickle about some
things, so when she started using my systems, it was quite an event.  To
say that she now uses XFCE without any complaints, has no trouble
pausing or locking my system or accessing the applications she wants is
an excellent testimony of how usable this software really is.

I'm having no problems using XFCE on either Mandrake or Debian systems,
and I think that you've all done a great job.  Keep up the great work!
I especially thank Todd Slater for making the Mandrake procedure to
simplify installation and Martin Loschwitz (madkiss) for making the
Debian packages available.  I really appreciate it, and look forward
with eager anticipation to the final release.

--
Brian Masinick
mailto:masinick at yahoo.com