screenshot

Andy tireseas at onetel.com
Sun Sep 14 16:35:15 CEST 2003

Ken Moffat wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> I will check the source code out: good education and all, especially
>> since I am going to be learning C this semester at school.
>

> You should point out to everyone at school, including professors, that
> all programs using the GPL have the source code available. These can
> be studied, or used, as long as you credit the author. If you download
> xfce, look in any of the src directories for "COPYING", which contains
> the gpl terms.
>
>>  I should (???) be able to take the source code to school and compile
>> it on the Windows compiler. But will it work?
>

> Maybe at first, with C in a terminal environment, but Windows and
> Xfree86 are different, so windowing will be incompatible. It will
> depend on the libraries you are using.
>
> Borland, eh? There is a product called Borland C++ Builder, a nice
> programming environment for window, that was ported to Linux and
> called Kylix. The newest version does C++, and I hear some programs
> can be recompiled either on Linux or Windows. But I also hear it can
> be quite a task sometimes. You can download a free version from
> www.borland.com.
> It's called Kylix. It also does Pascal, and does it MUCH faster than
> C++. (The windows version of the pascal environment is called Delphi,
> and is also much faster than C++Builder.)

One of the professors/instructors is already very keen and quite
knowledgeable about Linux (I did a couple of one-day intro courses with
him), but it is a usual case of Windows hegemony with some of the people
(powers that be?) reckoning that if it ain't windows it ain't
computing!!! Their module for database programming next year includes
Access (but no MySQL, etc). It's a real shame, but it isn't university
computer science, only a highner national certificate in computer
systems engineering ... but for me it is a start. I just wish that they
would broaden their horizons somewhat!!
I understand that the differences do depend on libraries, and I will
certainly check out Kylix. I have heard the name, but never paid too
much heed to it, so will do a bit of background checking.
Cheers
- Andy