Can't Start xfwm4

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Sep 9 21:10:05 CEST 2003

John,

Ok, let's try to make things simple: In xfce4, all components are
separate, ie, if you run xfwm4 you get a window manager, and only a
window manager, while if you run xfce4-panel, you get just the panel.

This way, you can decide what to run, let's say, xfwm4 + gnome-panel +
kdesktop + konqueror... (that's just an example)

If you want to run just the window manager (xfwm4) then you need another
application to be able to launch apps. xfce4 provides the xfce4-panel
for that prupose, but you may want to run something else, you can choose
from plenty of apps that can do the job, using Rox (http://rox.sf.net)
for example.

But you can run xfwm4 from ~/.xinitrc with something like this:

xfwm4&
xterm

The session will stay active until you close the terminal. It's the most
basic session I can think of...

I think the misunderstanding comes from that some other window managers
take the "all-in-one" approach, providing menus, taskbar, etc. In xfce4,
it's separate apps, so you can "build" your prefered desktop the way you
want.

Cheers,
Olivier.

Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org