Odd window focus behaviour

John Pettigrew john at pettigrew.org.uk
Mon Sep 8 21:43:34 CEST 2003

In a previous message, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> I do have this behaviour with "notepad" under wine, but it's not specific to
> xfwm4 [snip] It does the same under kwin (kde3) and metacity (gnome-2.2)

Oddly, trying switching between window managers, I don't see them doing the
same thing. KWin seems to behave "properly"; xfwm4 behaves as I mentioned;
metacity (2.3.34) doesn't return focus at all (actually, thinking about this,
I saw this under Gnome also, but at least it's not confusing!).

So, there seem to be two activities: return apparent focus to the parent
window; return ability to type to parent window. KWin does both here; xfwm4
does only the first; metacity does neither.

I agree that it's likely to be a wine thing - the fact that it's only cxoffice
that suffers suggests this in any case - but I thought i'd ask here!

Thanks,

John
--
John Pettigrew                         Headstrong Games
john at headstrong-games.co.uk            Fun : Strategy : Price