Remarks on Xfce4

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sun Sep 7 15:19:16 CEST 2003

Robert,

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 07:47, Robert Serphillips wrote:
> I'll have to give that I try. I also seem to remember a few other
> little things that didn't work. I never could figure out how to change
> the ui colors.

The colors are managed by the gtk theme.

> In the current Setup box there are options to change
> the colors for the pointer, window border, and such. To get the same
> effect in 4 I had to manually edit my gtkrc/gtkrc-2.0 file, which is a
> pain because the colors settings are in hex.

If you have a $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 then that will take precedence over the
theme settings, so I'm not surprised that doesn't work for you...
Whatever you select, you get your own colors. It's your choice, not a
bug in xfce4.

> Also the motif window
> controls have changed a bit. The close "X" on the top right was
> missing.

Real mwm never had a close button.

> Anyway it's the little details that made 3 such a usable and refined
> window manager that are missing. As stated earlier the project is
> still VERY early in the development so I don't expect everything to be
> there yet.

You state that xfce4 is VERY early in the development? Oh, come on, it's
been under development for almost 2 years!

> That said, I do think 4 is progressing very nicely. 3 is the best wm
> out and it's only a matter of time until 4 fills that space.

Or maybe you might want learn to actually use xfce4...

Cheers,
Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org