xterm font size

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Thu Oct 16 07:12:17 CEST 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:47:39 -0400, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:

> 031015 Brett I.Holcomb wrote:
> > How do I set the xterm font size so it's larger than default?
> > I'm using xfce4 & putting 'xterm -bg black -fg green'
> > for the xterm launcher command.  I know I can ctl-right-click
> > & get a menu for tiny, medium, large, huge etc
> > but I want to set medium or large when I start xterm.
>
> the default font size in XFCE 4 is irritating.
> i dealt with it by defining a set of Xterms in a panel menu:
> eg 'xterm -fa "New Century" -fs 11 -geometry 79x31'.
> choose a font your system understands (Luxi seems to be the same on Gentoo),
> set '-fs nn' to a variety of sizes (i have  9 & 7  too) & geometry to taste.
> 'man xterm' has details.

XFce4 doesn't mess with xterm fonts at all. If they're getting screwed up it's
probably something else.

Two things to check:

If you're on RH8 (may be there on 9, I haven't checked), it doesn't source
.Xdefaults automatically. You could add the following to your xinitrc:

xrdb ~/.Xdefaults

and see if that helps. You could also comment out the following lines in
.xfce4/xinitrc :

xrdb -merge - << EOF
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
EOF

That may also help -- it could also make things worse, too! :-)

HTH,

-- b