Second try: xfprint-manager setup problem

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Mon Oct 13 17:26:16 CEST 2003

On Monday 13 October 2003 03:17 am, Christian Sparka graced me with:
> > The print server is an "Intel Netport Express 10/100"
> >
> > Printer #1
> > Printer Name: Epson ActionLaser 1500
> > Alias Name: eps1500
> > Server Name: print
> > Server Queue Name: lpt1_passthru
> >
> > Printer #2
> > Printer Name: Epson Stylus Color 660
> > Alias Name: eps660
> > Server Name: print
> > Server Queue Name: lpt2_passthru
> >
> > I use 'CUPS' while in KDE apps, and sometimes 'xpp' in other
> > apps. This works fine. Always has.
>
> I have no experience with remote printers, but you might watch into
> your /var/log/cups/error_log to see what went wrong.
> Maybe increase the cups loglevel (in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf) before.
>
> Also, unlike most unix apps, xfprint4-manager requires the user not
> to specify the whole print _command_, but the printer _name_ only.
> The lp or lpr command will be added internally.
> Did you realize that?
>
> hth
> Christian

Well, Hell's Bells...

I tried "eps1500" for printer name and guess what? It worked!

I'm so use to expecting to give more information that I was baffled by
the applet's simplicity. :0) I guess the key here is to understand
that printers have to already be established and setup on the PC
running XFce so that the "System Name" of each printer can be used in
'xfprint-manager'. From there, whatever is the default printing
system on the PC will take over. Too simple for me. I was looking for
some Rocket Science to decipher. ;0)

Thanks, Christian.

Paul